Are you ready to find some “bunny” to love? In February we celebrate “Adopt a Rabbit Month!” There are so many reasons to adopt a rabbit. And, as an added incentive, rabbit adopters will receive a free wicker ball from Animal Outfitters during the month of February!
Many people don’t realize what wonderful additions rabbits can make to their family. With a little bit of research and the right supplies, a rabbit can easily become part of your life.
Visit our YouTube channel to watch instructional videos about rabbits
Search rabbits available for adoption
Read Tails of Marin: Sociable rabbits have a way of hopping into hearts
Here are a few reasons to consider adopting a rabbit (adapted from Petfinder.com):
- Low exercise requirements. Rabbits are the perfect pets for those who may not have time for daily walks, but still seek the social quality of a dog-like companion. And, like cats, rabbits can be litter box trained very easily.
- Instant happiness wrapped in fur! Just watch them hop around and you will see little hop-spins and kicks they do when they’re happy, it is impossible NOT to have a smile on your face!
- They have perfect timing! Rabbit schedules match up with people schedules. These furry friends are most active at dawn and dusk, which corresponds well with the times most of us are starting our day or getting home from work and ready for some couch snuggling or play time.
- Rabbits encourage a healthy lifestyle. As herbivores, rabbits mesh well with vegetarian and vegan lifestyles. Having a pet who encourages you to stock your fridge with fruits and vegetables as a treat is good for everybody!
- Rabbits make great pets for apartment or city dwellers. They happily stay in large cages or puppy pens during the day when you’re gone and love to come out to romp around in rabbit-proofed rooms when you’re home.
- Rabbits have long lifespans compared to other small animals. They can live 10-12 years if provided with a proper diet and care.
- Rabbits are great listeners (just look at those ears!). They also make excellent snugglers with their extra-soft fur and loving nature. What more could you ask for from a friend?
- Rabbits need homes! Perhaps one of the best reasons to adopt a bunny is that there are so many waiting for forever homes. In fact, after dogs and cats, rabbits are the third most abundant adoptable pet, with more than 5,500 listed for adoption on Petfinder. Search on our website for an adoptable rabbit.